Saturday, November 22, 2008

Natalie Merchant, Katell Keineg and Sweet Memories

Two of my favourite albums from the 90s are 'Ophelia' by Natalie Merchant, and 'Jet' by Katell Keineg. Natalie is the former lead singer of 10,000 Maniacs. Katell was raised in Cardiff but has lived in Dublin since 1990.

Listening to 'Ophelia' again today, it just dawned on me that it's been ten years since I first heard it. I started to think back to 1998. I visited Galway quite a bit that year and that album, along with 'Jet' by Katell, coloured so much about my moods, likes and loves at the time. It's always nice to listen to something that can still take you back to where and how you were when you first heard it - right now in my head I'm kicking a ball with a bunch of French people and street drinkers in the middle of Eyre Square, Galway, after France just defeated Brazil in the World Cup Final, and 'Veni Vidi Vici' is ringing in my ears, as is 'Kind and Generous', 'King of May' and 'When They Ring The Golden Bells'. Music's a powerful medicine, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Natalie and Katell worked together earlier in 1995 on Natalie's debut solo album, 'Tiger Lily'. They toured together as part of the Lilith Fair shows. Natalie also covered the Katell penned 'Gulf of Araby' live, a version of which appears on her 1999 album 'Live in Concert' and for many would be the centerpiece of the album.

Two different vocal styles but both with their own personal stamp on their deliveries, their catalogues are worth delving into if you haven't sniffed already. Here's both ladies with a live rendition of 'Carnival', which featured on Natalie's 'Tiger Lily' record.


Katell Keineg performing 'The Gulf of Araby'. Introduced by Glen Hansard.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Katell Keinig is a great singer. I'm so looking forward to new material from her in the not too distant future.